- Review – Cathay Pacific Lounge at YVR
- Review – Cathay Pacific Business Class – Vancouver to Hong Kong – A350-900
- Review – Qantas Hong Kong Lounge
- Review – Cathay Pacific Regional Business Class – Hong Kong to Seoul – 777-300
- Review – Royal Hotel Seoul
- Review – KAL Lounge Prestige Class – Incheon
- Review – Etihad Airways Business Class – Seoul to Abu Dhabi – A340-600
- Review – Bonnington Jumeirah Lakes Towers – Dubai
- Review – Etihad Airways Premium Business Class Lounge Terminal 3 – Abu Dhabi
- Review – Etihad Airways Business Class – Abu Dhabi to Paris – A340-600
- Review – WestJet Economy Class – London Gatwick to Toronto – 767-300ER
Note: The full trip report will span a series of posts. This post serves as the outline for the report.
This was an especially fun trip for us as we were joined by two of our friends, Queenie and Fion. This trip was to be their first venture into premium cabin travel, which was really exciting, not only for them, but for Peterson and I as we showed them what was possible with the hard-earned miles they’ve collected.
In terms of the flights, I was personally most excited about the first segment from Vancouver to Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific’s brand new Airbus A350 route. The introduction of Cathay Pacific’s A350 service into YVR marks the very first A350 service in all of Canada. We were booked on the 6th flight since the start of the service, so we were SUPER excited to be one of the first to review it!
Another airline I was thrilled to try was Etihad Airways. Having been on Emirates a few times, I really wanted to see how this other gulf carrier compares, in terms of the hard product as well as the service and experience. It was also cool that we would get to fly on an A340-600, which are becoming increasingly rare in the skies.
Mileage and Price Breakdown
The first two segments were redeemed using Alaska Mileage Plan with Cathay Pacific, using a total of 50,000 miles one-way per person:
Cathay Pacific business class (CX858) from Vancouver (YVR) to Hong Kong (HKG)
Cathay Pacific business class (CX418) from Hong Kong (HKG) to Seoul (ICN)
To get from Seoul to Abu Dhabi, and then onwards to Paris, we purchased a relatively affordable business class fare directly with Etihad Airways, for $1675 CAD per person:
Etihad Airways business class (EY873) from Seoul (ICN) to Abu Dhabi (AUH)
Etihad Airways business class (EY31) from Abu Dhabi (AUH) to Paris (CDG)
For the return, we booked an economy class ticket with WestJet, taking us from London Gatwick to Vancouver, via transfer in Toronto:
WestJet economy class (WS4) from London Gatwick (LGW) to Toronto (YYZ)
WestJet economy class (WS723) from Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR)