- Review | JAL Business Class | Vancouver to Tokyo | 787-8
- Review | JAL Business Class | Tokyo to Singapore | 767-300ER
- Review | Marina Bay Sands – City View Room & Infinity Pool
- Review | Dnata Lounge Singapore
- Review | Cathay Pacific – The Pier Business Class Lounge
- Review | Cathay Pacific Business Class | Hong Kong to Seoul | 777-300ER
- Review | Sheraton Seoul Palace Gangnam Hotel
- Review | Cathay Pacific Lounge Incheon
- Review | Cathay Pacific Business Class | Seoul to Hong Kong | A330-300
- Review | Cathay Pacific – The Wing Business Class Lounge
- Review | Cathay Pacific Business Class | Hong Kong to Vancouver | 777-300ER
Note: The full trip report will span a series of posts. This post serves as the outline for the report.
Ever since I started my hobby of collecting miles and using it to redeem premium travel, I’ve always wanted to book a trip with my parents to show them what it’s like, since they have only traveled in economy. I knew they would love the pampering, but I also wanted to show them that travelling in business class isn’t as unattainable as most people think it is.
Since I had convinced them to apply for several credit cards earlier in the year, they’ve been able to accumulate a good chunk of miles through the sign-up bonus and everyday spending. After topping up our mileage accounts through the buy miles promotion, I was able to book an itinerary routing through several Asian destinations. We decided to fly to Singapore for several days, continuing onto Korea for a couple more, then a short stop in Hong Kong before coming back to Vancouver.
I booked the flights using a combination of American AAdvantage and Alaska Mileage. Here’s the mileage breakdown per person:
Using 55,000 American AAdvantage miles, I redeemed a one way in Japan Airlines business cabin from Vancouver to Singapore, transiting in Tokyo:
Japan Airlines business class (JL17) from Vancouver (YVR) to Tokyo (NRT)
Japan Airlines business class (JL711) from Tokyo (NRT) to Singapore (SIN)
With 22,500 Alaska Mileage miles I booked an intra-Asia business flight to get from Singapore to Seoul. This includes a short transfer in Hong Kong.
Cathay Pacific business class (CX710) from Singapore (SIN) to Hong Kong (HKG)
Cathay Pacific business class (CX418) from Hong Kong (HKG) to Seoul (ICN)
Finally with 60,000 Alaska Mileage miles I was able to redeem a one way on Cathay Pacific business from Seoul back to Vancouver, with a 2-day stopover in Hong Kong.
Cathay Pacific business class (CX439) from Seoul (ICN) to Hong Kong (HKG)
Cathay Pacific business class (CX838) from Hong Kong (HKG) to Vancouver (YVR)